Tourist Attractions in Chile
Chile is a land of extreme contrasts. Stretching from the driest desert on earth to the haunting glacial fields at the tip of South America, Chile’s diverse natural attractions include parched dunes, fertile valleys, volcanoes, ancient forests, clear rivers, massive glaciers and fjords. Explore Santiago attractions to discover cultural experiences, adventure activities, fine dining and famously friendly people.
Set against the Andes and the Pacific Ocean, there are always things to do in Santiago, Chile.
Sun International’s Monticello Casino is perfectly situated, allowing you to explore Santiago attractions.
Things to do
Things to do and Santiago attractions near Monticello Casino.
- Explore La Chascona, the house that poet Pablo Neruda built to share with his mistress.
- Take a tour through the Centro Gabriela Mistral, a cultural centre named for Chilean poet Gabriela Mistral, the first Latin American woman to win the Nobel Prize in Literature. Enjoy art exhibitions and al fresco dining around the plaza.
- Taste the local wine and explore the exciting winery at Viña Aquitania, one of the top things to do in Santiago, Chile.
- Undoubtedly the best museum in Santiago, the Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino exhibits exquisite pottery from most major pre-Columbian cultures as well as pieces from the Mayan period and a fascinating Andean textile display.
- Fashion lovers must visit the Museo de la Moda, (Santiago's fashion museum), which boasts an incredible permanent collection of iconic fashion pieces. If you're lucky, some of the museum's star attractions will be on display, including John Lennon's jacket from 1966, Jean Paul Gaultier's conical bra that he designed for Madonna, and an evening gown that Lady Diana wore in 1981.
MORE THINGS TO DO IN SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Visit the Mercado Central fresh seafood market, a famous Santiago attraction. Even if seafood isn’t your thing, this is a destination that promises great photos. If you’re hankering after seafood, this is where you’ll find an excellent selection of local restaurants.
- Spend an afternoon at Bicentennial Park (Parque Bicentenario), the green heart of the city. With more than 4 000 trees, this park features city bike baths, chaise lounges and umbrellas alongside the Rio Mapocho and a massive playground for kids.
- Experience the colourful nightlife, a “must-do” on your list of things to do in Santiago, Chile Unassuming La Piojera bar serves up specialities like sweet Chilean cider on sticky tables crammed with noisy locals, while Café Mosqueto, situated on a bustling cafe-lined street, will give you a cosy spot from which to enjoy people-watching. For traditional Chilean dining, head to the Bar Nacional.
- Take a trip to the Basilica de la Merced. Founded and constructed in 1795, this Chilean National Monument houses a collection of religious objects and art, including pieces from Easter Island. Visit the Museum of Memory and Human Rights (Museo de la Memoria y los Derechos Humanos) for an emotive exploration of Chile’s past or take in the lights and sights of Monticello Casino, one of TripAdvisor’s top Santiago attractions.
- Only 25 kilometres outside of Santiago, the Cajón del Maipo gorge is a favourite weekend getaway for city locals in search of adventure. Besides outdoor activities like hiking, climbing, cycling and rafting available, there’s a great selection of traditional restaurants and teahouses to choose from for some downtime, as well as a winery to explore.
If you’re looking for things to do in Santiago, Chile, Sun International has you covered. Speak to us about top Santiago attractions now.